A surge in COVID-19 cases following the mass protests and riots over the May 25 police killing of George Floyd has not yet materialized, despite aggressive testing over the past two weeks of people involved in the demonstrations that roiled the Twin Cities.
The Minnesota Department of Health on Monday reported four more deaths and 308 more lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19, an infectious disease caused by a novel coronavirus. That is the lowest number of COVID-19 deaths reported in one day in the pandemic since April 13.
Only 1.5% of tests at four community sites last week of people involved in demonstrations turned up positive for the presence of the virus, suggesting that all of the shouting and crowding didn't result in widespread transmission.
"That is a relief," said Kris Ehresmann, state infectious disease director.
State officials warned that the positive trends could be upset, though, if Minnesotans stop complying with recommendations to wear masks in public and practice social distancing. Arizona and other states in the south were faster than Minnesota in scaling back restrictions on businesses and social mobility, and have seen cases spike upward.
Minnesota health officials are concerned that a declining trend in the median age of COVID-19 cases — now at 40.4 years of age — suggests that more young people are disregarding social distancing and spreading the virus.
Minnesota permitted limited indoor restaurant and bar service as of June 10, along with restricted reopenings of fitness clubs and entertainment venues. Ehresmann said the impact of those changes won't be known for another week or two.
Contact tracing interviews with people diagnosed with COVID-19 since June 3 found that at least 6.5% had been at restaurants before their infections — though it was unclear if they already had the virus or were infectious during these visits.