MNsure officials say call volumes, wait times and website functions have been back to normal the last two days, as the state's health insurance exchange shakes off what a top official called "suspicious" behavior earlier this week on the phone lines.
On Tuesday, Gov. Mark Dayton alleged that the MNsure call center was clogged by robocalling. State IT officials issued numbers late Wednesday showing there were about 50,000 call attempts at MNsure by 9 a.m. Tuesday, compared with just 1,600 by the same time Wednesday morning.
The lower call volume continued Thursday, state officials said, adding that a new story is emerging of robust enrollment activity.
"We've helped more Minnesotans than we have in any two-day period in our history," said Allison O'Toole, the MNsure chief executive. "We've now enrolled more than 10,000 Minnesotans. That's a benchmark that we didn't hit until after Thanksgiving last year."
Enrolling 10,000 people in private health insurance coverage over two days is an impressive tally, said Charles Gaba of ACAsignups.net, a Michigan-based website that tracks enrollment through exchanges across the country.
Gaba noted, however, that Minnesota has unique drivers for people to shop early, since sign-ups are being capped in most health plans. The caps mean most options could disappear at some point before the end of the enrollment season.
"I assume there will be some additional urgency at the start," he said.
Minnesota launched the MNsure exchange in 2013 to implement the Affordable Care Act, which requires almost all Americans to have health insurance or pay a tax penalty.