When prosecutors dropped all charges against the men suspected of killing her son last year, Candice Lynch thought back to the day the other half of her heart was torn out.
Twice now she has had to do what no parent should: bury a child. In 2016, her son Derrick Mack, 18, was gunned down during an apparent robbery in north Minneapolis. Then last year another son, 26-year-old Daniel Mack, was slain on the North Side after several gunmen opened fire on the SUV he was in, police said.
In both cases, police made arrests. And each time, prosecutors chose not to pursue the case because of doubts about the evidence.
As if the pain of losing a second son wasn't unbearable enough, Lynch is tormented by the idea that Daniel's alleged killers are carrying on with their lives as if nothing happened.
"I was pissed, I was angry. I was very upset with the system," she said.
Police said that Daniel was shot on June 4, 2020, while riding around north Minneapolis with another man. The two friends, both of whom police say were Low End gang members, got into an argument with a group of men standing at the intersection of N. 34th and Dupont avenues, the territory of the rival Tre Tre Crips. Words were exchanged, and then gunfire.
A short time later, a nurse leaving North Memorial Health Hospital found Daniel dead inside a vehicle, which had been abandoned outside. Within weeks, authorities arrested and charged three of the four suspected shooters with second-degree murder.
At first, Lynch said, the victim's advocate assured her that the state's case against the men "looked good," and prosecutors were able to persuade a grand jury to upgrade the charges to first-degree premeditated murder.