MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell is suing top Justice Department leaders in a bid to retrieve a cellphone that he said FBI agents seized from him in a Mankato Hardee's drive-thru last week.
In a lawsuit filed this week in U.S. District Court in Minnesota, Lindell is asking a judge to declare that the Sept. 13 encounter with FBI agents violated his constitutional rights.
Lindell wants U.S. District Judge Eric Tostrud to order authorities to return his cellphone "and any data accessed from the cellular service provider" as well as stopping the government from accessing any data retrieved from the phone. Lindell also wants the judge to prohibit the release of any information law enforcement may have accessed after carrying out the search and seizure warrant.
According to the lawsuit, a federal magistrate judge on Sept. 7 authorized federal agents to seize Lindell's Apple iPhone "and to gain access to multiple categories of data collected on that cellphone." The lawsuit alleges that agents tracked Lindell down using cell site location information or a tracking device without a warrant as he returned from an Iowa hunting trip on Sept. 13.
The civil complaint recounts much of what Lindell has told reporters and followers on social media in the immediate aftermath. He said an unmarked vehicle operated by a federal agent in street clothes abruptly blocked him in the drive-thru lane while two other unmarked vehicles pinned him in.
"Not knowing that the individuals in the three vehicles were federal agents, and fearing for his and his friend's lives, Mr. Lindell was prepared to ram one of the vehicles to escape," the civil complaint reads. "Before taking any such action he demanded, in a loud voice to attract attention, to know 'Who are you people? What do you want?'"
In a footnote, Lindell's attorneys acknowledged a recent interview in which Adam Mahowald, manager of a Mankato Hardee's, told the Twin Cities publication Racket that the FBI raid did not happen at his Mankato restaurant, although Lindell claimed "the FBI has confirmed that it served a warrant at that time at that location." An FBI spokesperson said the bureau did not have a comment, citing pending litigation.
Lindell told the Star Tribune last week that agents questioned him about Dominion Voting Systems and a Colorado clerk who has been charged in what prosecutors are calling a "deceptive scheme" to breach voting system technology used nationwide.