Twenty-six candidates declared their intentions Tuesday to run for election in Minneapolis, and the field will grow over the next two weeks.
While many candidates have been campaigning and fundraising for months, Tuesday marked the first day they could file their paperwork to appear on the November ballot.
The local races are drawing national attention and money as Minneapolis grapples with how to change policing and public safety in the wake of George Floyd's murder and amid a global pandemic.
The mayor's office, all 13 City Council seats and openings on the Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board and Board of Estimate & Taxation are up for grabs.
Interest in the races is running high. The 26 filings on Tuesday are well above the 15 who filed on the first day in 2017, when the last municipal races were held.
Candidates who have filed so far said the dynamic this time feels different, as the city reacts to crises that have exacerbated inequities and tensions in the community.
"Oh gosh, it's crazy, especially this year," said incumbent Council Member Andrew Johnson, who is running for re-election to represent the city's 12th Ward. Johnson said he expected more competition for some of the races but noted that some elected officials are facing new stressors like death threats as they sort through conflicting demands from impassioned residents. "A lot of situations, there's like no winning," he said.
Johnson said he's running again because he hopes things will get better. He was standing outside the filing office before it was scheduled to open at 8 a.m., making him the first to submit his papers.