A federal judge has helped clear the way for the trustee in the Tom Petters bankruptcy case to move forward with more than 70 lawsuits against lenders and individual investors that profited from the Ponzi scheme.
The ruling is good news for those who lost out in the largest pyramid scam in Minnesota history, but bad news for the Sabes family — a big Petters investor that had been hoping that a federal judge overseeing the bankruptcy would use a recent Supreme Court ruling to kill the lawsuits.
Instead, Robert W. Sabes and dozens of other investors must continue their court fight if they want to hold onto the money they earned by investing with Petters. The investment company headed up by Sabes, a former strip club owner and casino executive, cashed out early and pocketed $137 million, making it one of the biggest winners in Petters' Ponzi scheme, according to a Star Tribune review of court records.
Trustee Doug Kelley hopes to return that money to Petters victims, who so far have recovered $172 million from the liquidation of Petters' business empire. Altogether, Kelley is pursuing lawsuits that could squeeze nearly $700 million from lenders and investors who helped keep the Ponzi scheme running for more than 10 years.
"This is a significant victory in the saga of the Tom Petters case," said Kelley, referring to the recent bankruptcy court ruling. "Our clawback cases are alive and well."
But like many of the issues related to Petters' Ponzi scheme, the court ruling comes with an extra layer of drama and intrigue. It was issued on May 31 by federal Judge Gregory Kishel on the day he officially retired from the bench, and Kishel did not include an order that would make the decision binding on his successor. He also left without ruling on requests to dismiss the defendants' cases. So far, the ruling only affects the case involving the Sabes family.
'Kind of scratching our heads'
That unusual development has given hope to the army of lawyers trying to stop the lawsuits. They hope to persuade Kishel's successor, Judge Kathleen Sanberg, to revisit the issues cited in Kishel's opinion at a hearing later this month.
"We're all kind of scratching our heads," said attorney David Mitchell, who represents the target of one of Kelley's lawsuits. "Does this ruling impact all of the adversarial proceedings?"