A new lawsuit describing more sexualized and racist hazing in Northwestern University's football program alleges Black freshmen players were forced to compete in watermelon-eating contests.
The allegations are among the newest of a mounting stack of lawsuits the university faces amid its ongoing hazing scandal. At least 12 related lawsuits have been filed against the university since the scandal broke in early July.
Civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump announced Thursday he had filed two more separate lawsuits against the university, with more expected in coming days.
"We are learning of new, disturbing abuse every day, and as we speak to more and more previous students, it's clear how deep the culture of abuse runs at this University," Crump said in a statement shared with the Tribune.
The claims describing a forced watermelon-eating contest appeared in two lawsuits involving anonymous players who were on the team from 2004 to 2008. The players were subject to an "archaic and disturbing culture," the lawsuits brought by Hart, McLaughlin & Eldrige and Romanucci & Blandin alleged.
"This is a clear promotion of the indisputably racist watermelon stereotype and anti-black racist trope," the lawsuits said of the forced watermelon eating contest.
A news article published by The Daily Northwestern in 2019 described and shared photos of a watermelon-eating contest occurring at the team's now-canceled annual training camp in Kenosha. The contest was announced to players by recently fired former coach Pat Fitzgerald, who said at the time the contest had been occurring for 14 years, according to the article.
One of the firm's new lawsuits also alleges a player was forced into a chair by upperclassmen who cut off his Afro hairstyle at a Wisconsin training camp in his freshman year.