ROCHESTER – A group of construction workers allege they were shorted thousands of dollars in pay after working much of last year on a $40 million, city-supported affordable housing project that's now filling with residents.
Their complaint, which stems from work performed on the 208-unit River Glen Apartments in Rochester, has triggered a state Department of Labor and Industry investigation of Ed Lunn Construction, a well-known southeast Minnesota firm that's built thousands of apartments and homes over 48 years.
In a recent interview, Lunn said the men were not his employees, but worked instead for a subcontractor who, he alleges, took the wages and left the state.
"He took off with their money and now they're chasing me," he said.
The dispute is a fresh test of a new wage theft law that recently took effect in Minnesota. That law, on the books as of July 1, doubles the number of state investigators examining wage theft cases and will mean more site visits, said state labor Commissioner Nancy Leppink. That could make a dent in the estimated $11.9 million of wages kept from 39,000 Minnesotans each year.
But Rochester City Council Member Shaun Palmer, who's spent 40 years in the construction industry and now represents the area where the River Glen project is located, said plotting out the employer-employee relationships within a construction site is notoriously difficult work.
"It's horrible to try to figure out who works for who," he said.
For some of the six workers claiming they're owed money in Rochester, what happened isn't new. In fact, it happens about once a year to Jose Lopez, he said.