Former staffers and a client of the Salvation Army's adult addiction recovery program picketed Friday outside the agency's thrift store on the edge of downtown Minneapolis, protesting what they say has been a discouraging and demeaning atmosphere since a new captain arrived last summer.
They say dozens of men have left the program since Capt. Dennis Earnhardt instituted dress and hair codes and issued orders to cover tattoos, along with other restrictions.
Earnhardt acknowledged that some measures — one of which resulted in a discrimination finding by the Minnesota Department of Human Rights — may have gone too far. But he said the program is doing plenty of good.
"Some people like it, and some don't," he said. "But when men come to me to turn their lives around, I'm very successful at it."
Dave Johnson, a counselor who was fired in August after 12 years at the center, said the atmosphere of the program under Earnhardt is "hostile" and "not conducive to any kind of rehab. Guys are like, 'I'd rather go to jail.'
"They're just being driven away," Johnson said Friday as he and three others carried signs calling for Earnhardt to step down. "They need someone who has a heart."
Johnson has organized several protests in recent weeks at the Salvation Army offices at 900 N. 4th St. in Minneapolis. But he said that the Black Friday protest may be the last after seeing dwindling crowds going into the store, which supports the recovery program.
"This is dead," added former store manager Tricia Hutton, who resigned from her job at a St. Paul Salvation Army store last month to protest what she said is rigid leadership. "I think the word has been out. At least some of the people who are donating are leaving and saying they'll take it somewhere else."