The heated politics of the U.S. Supreme Court vacancy are spilling into Minnesota's Senate race, with U.S. Sen. Tina Smith and Republican challenger Jason Lewis pressing opposite views on an issue that could reframe the presidential election.
Smith, in an interview Monday, lamented the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg last week and echoed Democrats across the nation — including Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden — who believe the Senate should not vote on a successor picked by President Donald Trump before the election.
"I believe so strongly, given everything at stake with this Supreme Court, that the person who wins the election should be the person to choose the next Supreme Court justice," Smith said.
Lewis, a former one-term congressman and one-time radio personality, said the Senate should vote on Trump's nominee as swiftly as possible. He said a nine-member Supreme Court should be in place in time for an election in case it's needed to sort out possible legal fallout from a close race.
"It's not beyond the pale to consider a contested presidential election," Lewis said, citing uncertainty about what's expected to be a much heavier volume of mailed ballots this year. "What are you going to do if it's a four-four tie? The country will have no finality on the presidential race."
With Ginsburg's passing, Republican-appointed justices on the Supreme Court now constitute a 5-3 majority. If Trump's pick is confirmed, it would become a 6-3 majority. Trump has promised to name his pick by the end of the week.
Last month, GOP Minnesota Reps. Tom Emmer and Jim Hagedorn sent Trump a letter endorsing federal Judge David Stras as the next high court pick. Stras is a former Minnesota Supreme Court justice whom Trump elevated to the Eighth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in 2017.
But Trump said at a rally Saturday in North Carolina that he planned to nominate a woman to succeed Ginsburg, who was the second woman to join the U.S. Supreme Court.