The Rev. Jerome Kern was sued for fondling boys in a swimming pool and a lake. The Rev. John T. Brown was sued over a molestation that occurred in a sex education class. The Rev. Francis Hoefgen was sued for abusing a youth living with him as a foster son.
The three priests were among 30 identified on a list of clergy who have been credibly accused of abusing boys and girls, a list that was made public Thursday by the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis after it had been held secret for 10 years.
Some have only been accused of abuse; others found guilty. Some are dead, but most are alive. Some of the cases have been widely known; others are just coming to light.
The publication of the list, which came after a court order, is unprecedented in Minnesota. It marks the beginning of a new protocol within the archdiocese in which it has pledged to continue identifying any priests found to have abused a child.
It also is spurring calls by the St. Paul police for victims to step forward and demands from victims' advocates for names of "the rest" — priests they believe should have been named.
"It's very important that these names be out there," said the Rev. Tom Doyle, a Virginia-based canon lawyer who has testified on behalf of victims in abuse cases in civil courts.
"It may enable more victims to step forward and begin the process of healing. It will allow people who are around the priests to know what they're accused of. And it's a step in the gradual revelation that the archdiocese has handled these cases poorly," Doyle said.
The list spans more than 60 years, from 1950 to 2012. The sexual abuse of children by priests swept across metro-area parishes, 92 in all, from Lake Elmo to Hopkins.