St. Paul leaders said Tuesday they will dismantle eight homeless encampments and relocate residents to shelters starting next week, citing the risk of fires and exposure to the cold.
The St. Paul Fire Department this year has responded to 30 out-of-control fires at camps where propane cylinders and other flammable heat sources have caught fire and even exploded, igniting nylon tents, nearby trees and debris. Emergency crews have also been dispatched to 75 emergency medical calls at camps, including a homeless person staying under a bridge who died of exposure.
"It's a dangerous, dangerous situation," said St. Paul Fire Chief Butch Inks, explaining how one man suffered serious legs burns after his campsite caught fire.
Inks said well-meaning people have been dropping off propane cylinders at encampments as temperatures drop. Encampment residents are starting fires or using those propane cylinders inside their tents, attempting to vent the smoke with makeshift tubes and piping and creating a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
St. Paul Deputy Mayor Jaime Tincher said the city has set up two temporary emergency shelters in recent weeks. The goal now is to persuade the nearly 120 people living in encampments to come indoors and seek long-term help.
The number of homeless people sleeping outdoors in St. Paul, which numbered in the dozens a year ago, has skyrocketed to more than 300 at times this year.
St. Paul, Minneapolis, Hennepin and Ramsey counties are all scrambling to find more indoor accommodations for the surging homeless population — a situation made worse this year by COVID-19 and the ensuing economic downturn.
In Hennepin County, a notice of closure was given this week to the people living in an encampment on the Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis. About 40 tents had been set up and there was a fire over the weekend. The city has also removed about 100 propane tanks.