St. Paul students on Tuesday implored the state's second-largest district to join its neighbors in shifting to remote learning to stop the spread of COVID-19.
Walkouts took place at high schools and middle schools across the city — days after Superintendent Joe Gothard chose to stick with in-person instruction as Minneapolis, Roseville and other districts went virtual.
Teachers also had pushed for improved safety measures in St. Paul. But on Tuesday, it was time for the students to be heard, said Jerome Treadwell, a senior at Highland Park High School and executive director of the group Minnesota Teen Activists.
"This is an equity issue," he said at a morning news conference. "This is life or death."
Late Tuesday, the school board considered a motion to shift the entire district to virtual learning for two weeks beginning Friday, but it was defeated, 4 to 3. Such action now would come on a school-by-school basis.
Student leaders want two weeks of distance learning plus action on nine demands that include stronger masking and testing protections, and development of a metric to determine when individual schools should shift to remote learning.
Just before students were set to begin mobilizing for the 1 p.m. walkouts, the district sent e-mails to families outlining its guidance on when schools would go virtual, saying families will be alerted when 25% of teachers are absent on a given day, and that if the rate is projected to last more than three days, schools would shift to remote learning.
At Washington Technology Magnet School on the North End, freshman Dony Timmerman helped direct more than 200 students across Rice Street, with many chanting about having a voice — and not letting it be taken away. Timmerman said he was out last week with COVID, and he heard reports about empty desks and absent teachers.