More than 120 schools across Minnesota will receive part of the $25 million in school safety funding approved by state lawmakers earlier this year.
The Minnesota Department of Education on Monday said it had selected projects in 90 school districts or charter schools, spread out across a total of 123 school buildings, for help with projects ranging from secured building entrances to two-way radio systems. With safety concerns top of mind for school leaders, the competitive grants drew applications for projects totaling $255.5 million — more than 10 times the available funding.
The winning schools will receive funding of between $2,300 and $500,000 — the highest amount allowed for any school building — and can use the money over the next two years. Officials in some of the districts selected said the state funding will allow them to move forward with projects that they'd otherwise have no way to fund.
Brian Clarke, superintendent of Fertile-Beltrami Schools in northwest Minnesota, was surprised to learn his district had secured just over $439,000 to build a new, more secure entrance on its lone school building. He'd filled out the application knowing the odds of success were low, but hopeful he could get some help to update a 1930s building last remodeled three decades ago.
Now, he said, the district will be able to move ahead with building an entrance that gives staff more control over who comes and goes from the school and a clear view of what's happening on the playground and in the area where parents and bus drivers drop students off. For a district with an annual budget of about $6 million, he said such a project would be a stretch without the grant.
"To be honest, I don't know that's something we would be able to accomplish," he said.
Schools that applied for the grants on the first day the state began accepting them were assigned a random number. Then, officials made their way down the list, awarding projects until the $25 million ran out. In addition, half the money had to go to districts and schools outside of the 11-county metro area.
Minneapolis Public Schools, the state's third-largest district, will see the most money. The district is set to receive $2.5 million, divided among six schools: the FAIR School, Field Elementary, Folwell School, Justice Page Middle School, Lucy Laney Community School and Lyndale Community School.