The deep background check into the finances of Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf has made "substantial progress" over the past 48 hours, a state official said Wednesday.
But it still may not be enough to avoid a construction delay on the team's new downtown Minneapolis home.
"We don't have much time here, and I'm still concerned about the schedule," said Michele Kelm-Helgen, chairwoman of the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority, which is overseeing development of the $975 million stadium on the Metrodome site.
After a public dispute between the authority and the team last week over access to the Wilfs' finances, the Wilfs turned over a "substantial amount" of personal information over the past two days dealing with their finances and legal affairs, Kelm-Helgen said. Representatives of both sides met into the night Tuesday and again Wednesday to comb through documents.
"They've got volumes of information there," said Lester Bagley, a team spokesman.
"We've basically gotten all the financial information that we've requested," Kelm-Helgen said. "We have complete financial information. Now we have to verify the accuracy and sort of follow the tracks."
The Wilfs' actions led to an early optimism Wednesday that the team might resume negotiations on important lease and development agreements that need to be finalized before stadium groundbreaking takes place in early November.
But Kelm-Helgen said that optimism dimmed after Vikings officials reiterated later in the day that they will not return to the negotiating table on those issues until the financial and legal review is complete.