MADISON, Wis. — Save the kringle! Kick out the bounty hunters! Stop the ban on junk food bans!
Since the Legislature passed the Wisconsin budget last week, Gov. Scott Walker has been flooded with about 200 requests — urging him to scrap or save dozens of the thousands of items in the $70 billion spending plan.
Walker plans to sign the budget and release his vetoes on Sunday. He has remained largely silent on what he is targeting for changes in the budget, but that hasn't stopped others from asking him to take action.
As of Thursday, Walker had received about 200 veto requests, primarily from voters, individual business owners, local governments, lawmakers and advocacy groups, spokesman Tom Evenson said. Most of the requests focus on items that have generated the most publicity, Evenson said, including legalizing bail bondsmen, kicking the Center for Investigative Journalism off of the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, requiring collection of DNA for some felony arrests, and imposing new limits on unemployment insurance benefits.
The Associated Press filed an open records request on Tuesday for all of the veto letters received to date by Walker, but that had not been fulfilled as of Thursday.
Democrats, looking to score political points but with virtually no hope of success, are asking Walker to undo some of his top priorities in the budget, including stopping a statewide expansion of private school vouchers, allowing the sale of state-owned property, and rejecting a federally funded expansion of Medicaid.
Since Walker proposed all of those items, or worked closely with Republican legislative leaders on changes made in the budget, they are almost all certainly going to be signed into law.
But in many other areas, the Legislature added things to the budget that Walker didn't propose. Those are typically the best places to look for possible vetoes.